What Are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are stored by the web browser (for example, Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera or Safari) on your computer or mobile phone. They allow websites to store things like user preferences. Cookies can be thought of as a means to provide a ‘memory store’ for the website, so that it can recognise you when you return and so that the website can respond appropriately.
Examples of some of the different types of cookies available that can be deployed on a website are listed below:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies
- Essential cookies are set across a website to enable the use of its online systems, without which the online systems would not function.
- Some cookies may be placed on your computer to ensure the website delivers information and services securely and optimally.
- Functionality Cookies
- These are cookies that are not essential, but they enhance your use of our website.
- These cookies are used to monitor the use of and visitor behaviour on a website to help improve the information and services provided.
- Performance Cookies
- These cookies are used to monitor the performance of a website.
- Third Party Cookies
- Some websites may use third party services or software, such as maps, online videos or social networking features. Many of these services may set cookies in your browser.
- Advertising Cookies
- Cookies are widely used in online advertising.
- Tracking pixels may sometimes be used to set cookies that assist with the delivery of online advertising.
- Ordinarily no personally identifiable information can be gained from advertising cookies.
There are generally four reasons why a cookie may be stored on your device when visiting our website:
- To ensure the website works properly for you and enable you to make use of any secure online services that we may provide
- To collect anonymised data about your use of the website to help us improve our online services
- To remember your preferences and make the site easier for you to use
- To enhance the information we present online via third party services we may use. We have no control over third party cookies. These cookies are placed on your device either by Hanney Pre-School or by the third parties whose services we choose to deliver our website
These cookies are placed on your device either by HPS or by the third parties whose services we choose to deliver our website.
Some cookies are retained in your browser for only as long as you visit our website, while others persist for a longer, specified or unspecified period.
The cookies we may use include:
- Content Management System (CMS) Cookies
- Content management system cookies are an automatic dependency related to the CMS our website uses. Without them our website would fail to function.
- Session Cookies
- We use Session Cookies to on our website to gather anonymous statistics relating to website performance and usage.
- Google Analytics Cookies
- We use Google Analytics on our website to gather anonymous statistics relating to website performance and usage.
- Google Calendar Cookies
- We use Google Calendar on our website to deliver information about community events.
- OpenStreetMap Cookies
How You Can Turn Cookies Off
It is usually possible to stop your web browser accepting cookies, or to stop it accepting cookies from a particular website. However, it is important to be aware that, if you have an account, a website cannot tell if you are signed in without using cookies, so you would not be able to post comments or view information provided specifically for your attention, for example.
All modern browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the Options or Preferences menu of your browser. To understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, or you can use the Help option in your browser for more details.
- Cookie settings in Firefox – https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer?redirectlocale=en-GB&redirectslug=Cookies
- Cookie settings in Google Chrome – https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en&ref_topic=14666
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-10
- Cookie settings in Microsoft Edge – https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy
- Cookie settings in Opera – https://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/privacy/
- Cookie settings in Safari – https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB
- Cookie settings on Android mobile device – http://www.allaboutcookies.org/mobile/index.html
- Cookie settings in iOS – https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201265
If you are primarily concerned about third party cookies generated by advertisers, you can turn these off by going to the Your Online Choices site – http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/.
You can also visit the trade body representing these advertising platforms for more information:
- Network Advertising Initative – https://www.networkadvertising.org/
They have provided a page (http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp) where you can control all third-party online advertising.
If you would like to find out more about cookies and their use on the Internet, you may find the following links useful:
- All About Cookies – http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
- Microsoft Cookies Guide – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/260971/description-of-cookies
- What Are Cookies? – http://www.whatarecookies.com/enable.asp
The IAB has provided the following website to give information specifically about privacy issues around Internet advertising:
For further legal information about privacy issues, you may find the following links useful:
- The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – https://ico.org.uk/
- Data Protection Act 1998 – https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/contents
- 1995 EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC – https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31995L0046
If you would like to contact Hanney PreSchool about our cookies policy, please Contact Us remembering to select the Privacy Enquiry option from the Subject dropdown menu so your enquiry is directed to relevant person.
Cookies Policy Changes by Date
|3 Feb 2019||Updated GDPR compliant Cookies Policy published on the website.|